Skip to content
Urushiol Rash Information
- Up to 70-85% of Americans are susceptible urushiol oil found in poison ivy, sumac or oak
35 and 50 million people annually develop severe rhus dermatitis from exposure to urushiol (Dermatology Insights, 4 (1), 26, 2003, Am Acad Derm)
- 25% severe contact dermatitis, Severe rash with 1 nanogram!
- Seek medical treatment or advice
- Severe discomfort
- Potential infection
- Face, arm and genital swelling
- Treatment with antibiotics and steroid
Poison ivy increasing with rising CO2 levels.
(Main, D. Why poison ivy is an unlikely climate change winner, National Geographic Published April 18, 2023)
- Increasingly ‘‘toxic’’, potentially affecting global forest dynamics and human health.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Opens in a new window.